Piazza di Santa Croce
Florence, Tuscany (Italy)
Constructed between 1294 and 1442 in accordance to the Franciscan austerity and possibly after blueprints by Arnolfo di Cambio, this Gothic basilica is the largest church of the order across the world, reaching almost 115 meters in length. Its marble façade, however, was designed under the principles of the neo-Gothic stylistic revival that arose in the nineteenth century by a pretty unknown Jewish architect who crowned his masterpiece with a strikingly bluish Star of David.
Given the fact that some of the most renowned artistic and cultural personalities in the Italian history such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli and Rossini are buried within its walls, it is no wonder that this Florentine church is also called the Temple of the Italian Glories.
Exposure: 1/200 s; Aperture: f/9; Focal length: 18 mm; ISO speed: 100