so dennys is doing this promotion where people can come in for a free grand slam breakfast from 6am - 2pm. i didn't think i was going to do this but i woke up real early so what the heck? i got there exactly at 6am and it was already busy with maybe 20 plus people waiting in line. thankfully i was alone and i managed to grab a seat at the counter with practically no waiting time. i heard from the waiters that they only had two cooks and more were coming later at 7am. naturally it did take longer than normal to get my order taken and for my food to arrive and even longer for my bill to get to me. i didn't mind as i don't have anywhere to go today. bear in mind this is all going on between 6am and 6.45am.
so why does dennys do this? well according to an article on msn:
- 1,560 restaurants participating in this promotion
- an estimated 2 million people expected to partake in this promotion
- value of grand slam breakfast is $5.99
- with those numbers, this promotion has a face value of $15,457,075
- cost to prepare food is maybe 25% or 30% of the actual cost which translates to dennys spending $4,637,122.
- food is free, but drinks aren't. with an average of $1.70 spent per person drinks, you're looking around at around $4,250,000 in drink revenue.
- that basically means that they will end up spending around $400,000 for this entire promotion. the free press that comes with all this makes this all worth it.