Benton County BZA will take a "Special Exception Vote" on January 30, 2008 to determine if my hometown will become the next large scale Hogdom.
CAFO = CONCENTRATED ANIMAL FEEDING OPERATIONS
* Research studies indicate that CAFOs are causing measurable harm across a broad range of environmental, biological, and economic parameters.
* Significant amounts of toxic animal waste are released into water and air without environmental controls in place, causing pollution to air, soil, and the water supply.
* This pollution, in turn, appears to be a causative factor in the increased illness rates observed among people who live near CAFO facilities.
* The widespread, routine administration of antibiotics to confined hogs increases bacterial drug resistance and thereby endangers public health.
* Land values and quality of life in areas near CAFOs have been shown to decrease markedly and consistently.
* The local economy suffers rather than improves, and small-scale farming declines.
* Hog waste contains viruses, parasites, and bacteria, including bacteria that can contribute to antibiotic resistance in humans.