new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Clayton West Junction | by Ingy The Wingy
Back to photostream

Clayton West Junction

Clayton West Junction signal box located by the Down Main line to the west of Copley Lane underbridge near Shepley. Monday 19th March 1988

 

Clayton West Junction signal box was a Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company standard design fitted with a 44 lever Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company Tappet frame that opened in 1915 replacing a 22 lever 1879-built signal box located by the Up Main line a short distance to the east. The signal box was closed on 23rd April 1989 when the line between Springwood Junction and Stocksmoor was singled using the down line, and the double line between Stocksmoor and Clayton West Junction was retained being renamed Down Stocksmoor Loop and Up Stocksmoor Loop controlled from Huddersfield signal box. However, the signal box may have been retained until 30th April to operate the Down & Up Branch to Down Stocksmoor Loop connection. The signal box and lever frame were sold to to Mr D Gillonley in 1991 but remained derelict until 1994 when the signal box was damaged by fire. The lever frame was dismantled and signal box was moved a short distance away from the railway line and was rebuilt as a house

 

The signal box carries a Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company wooden nameboard, and in the near end the single pane windows beneath the 2x2 operating floor windows have been replaced by boarding

 

Ref no 07999

914 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on March 19, 1988