Goose Hill Junction
British Railways English Electric Company Limited Type 3 Co-Co class 37 diesel-electric locomotive numbers 37283 and 37165 (nearest) of Healey Mills Traction Maintenance Depot running light engine on the Up Fast line at Goose Hill Junction in Normanton signalled to take the Up L. & Y. line towards Wakefield. Saturday 14th May 1983
Goose Hill Junction signal box was located by the Up Fast line south of Normanton station where the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway diverged from the Midland Railway, and was a Midland Railway Company type 2a design that opened on 11th October 1891 replacing an 1882-built signal box. The original lever frame was replaced by a 64 lever Midland Railway Company Tappet frame on 29th August 1915. The former Midland Railway Company line to Oakenshaw North Junction closed on 1st June 1987 and the Slow lines to Altofts Junction signal box were taken out of use on 31st January 1988. The signal box closed on 2nd October 1988 by which time the track diagram carried the name Goosehill Junction although no change was made in the sectional appendix, with signalling passing to Wakefield Kirkgate and Altofts Junction signal boxes
The down slow home 2 signal in the foreground is carried on a Midland Railway wooden post which was abolished on 31st January 1988
The London Midland & Scottish Railway Company three doll balanced bracket on a tubular main stem carries (left to right) 12 signal (Down Fast 3rd Home) with Altofts Junction signal box A991R signal below it and 15 signal (down fast 3rd home to down slow).
The bracket formerly carried Normanton Passenger Station South signal box's semaphore distant signals. Below 15 signal was the down goods line distant, the redundant centre doll carried the Down Fast To Down Through Distant signal and beneath 12 signal was the Down Fast Distant signal. The Down Fast To Down Through Distant signal was abolished on 9th January 1972.
Altofts Junction signal box A991R signal, a three aspect colour light which was installed on 30th April 1972 as Altofts Junction signal box's Down Fast Outer Distant signal/Normanton signal box Down Fast Distant signal replacing a semaphore distant signal.
12 signal was renamed from the Down Fast Starting signal on 8th September 1974 during resignalling following the closure of Normanton signal box and the signal was abolished on 13th March 1988. 15 signal was abolished on 31st January 1988 along with the Slow lines to Altofts Junction signal box
The Midland Railway gantry carries (left to right) 60 signal (Up Fast 4th Home), 57 signal (Up Fast 4th Home to up L. & Y.) and 52 signal (up slow home 2). Locke's Sidings signal box's up distant signals were located below 52 and 57 signals until 28th February 1982 when it closed. The gantry formerly carried a fourth doll which carried the up main to up goods signal with the up main to up goods calling on below it. The Up Goods line between Goose Hill Junction and Oakenshaw North signal boxes was taken out of use on 8th July 1967 although connections and associated signalling was not decommissioned until 22nd December 1968.
52 signal was fixed at danger on 7th July 1985 and was abolished on 31st January 1988. And 57 and 60 signals were abolished on 13th March 1988
Ref no BJ/03356