Victoria Building, University of Liverpool
Opened in 1892, the Victoria Building was the main building for the University of Liverpool. The building was the inspiration for the term 'Redbrick University' coined in the UK during the 1940s and used to designate the group of universities founded in provincial cities during the Victorian era.
The architect was Alfred Waterhouse.
When we were students at Liverpool, the building was used for administration, exam halls, a library, and careers interviews.
The building has been restored and opened up to the public in Summer 2008 as part of the Liverpool European Capital of Culture year.
There are now three universities in Liverpool - Liverpool Hope University, Liverpool John Moores University, and the old original, 'The University of Liverpool'.