Abu Simbel
The Abu Simbel temples are two large rock temples Abu Simbel Nubia southern Egypt, situated on the western bank of Lake Nasser, 230 km southwest of Aswan. The complex is part of the UNESCO World Heritage site known as the "Nubian Monuments, which run from Abu Simbel downriver to Philae.
The temples were originally carved out of the mountainside during the reign of Pharaoh Ramesses II the 13th century BCE, as a lasting monument to himself and his queen Nefertari to commemorate his alleged victory at the Battle of Kadesh.
The complex was relocated completely in 1968, on an artificial hill made from a domed structure, high above the Aswan High Dam reservoir. This was, necessary to avoid their being submerged during the creation of Lake Nasser.
The Great Temple, which took about twenty years to build, was completed around regnal year 24of Ramesses the Great, c 1265 BCE. It was dedicated to the gods Amun, Ra-Horakhty and Ptah, in addition to the deified Ramesses himself.
The smaller temple of Hathor and Nefertari was dedicated to the goddess Hathor and Ramesses II's chief consort, Nefertari.
27 photos · 136 views