Nash-Hooper House (1772 or earlier) - A front view of Hillsborough's only National Historic Landmark. This house is associated with three of Hillsborough's most noted families. General Francis Nash, a Revolutionary War hero who died at the Battle of Germantown in 1777, built the original high front block. In 1781 William Hooper, a North Carolina signer of the Declaration of Independence, bought the house. About 1870 William A. Graham, North Carolina governor in the 1840s, purchased the property and the family owned it until 1906.