Sugalete Assembly, Bistrita, Bistrita-Nasaud county, Transylvania,
Located in the central square of Bistrita, the Sugalete Assembly includes 13 multilevel interconnected buildings with spacious entrances dating from the 15th and the 16th century, built in Gothic and Renaissance style. The buldings have storeys and they are bound to each other forming a gallery with 20 arches leaning against 21 pilasters.
Transylvanian Saxons settled the area in 1206 and dubbed the region
"Nösnerland". The destruction of Markt Nosa ("Market
Nösen") by Mongols heading toward central Europe was described by
a document from 1241. Being situated on several trade routes, Bistriţa
became a flourishing medieval trading post. The town was named after
the Bistriţa River, whose name comes from the Slavic word bystrica
meaning "the limpid water".
Bistriţa became a free royal town in 1330. In 1353 it gained the right to organize an annual 15-day fair, as well as a seal containing the coat of arms of an ostrich with a horseshoe in its beak. In 1465, the city's fortifications had 18 defensive towers and bastions defended by the local guilds. It was also defended by a Kirchenburg, or fortified church.
It became part of Romania after 1919, except during its reversion to Hungary between 1940 and 1944.