An example of the series of excellent images erected around the docks since 2009 to commemorate their bicentenary.
Info with the image (part):
Ashton Swing Bridge across the New Cut was built in 1906 as a joint venture between the City Council and GWR. Power to swing the bridge came from the Underfall Yard Hydraulic Engine House. The bridge was last swung in 1936 and this shows the scene in the 1950`s.
Note: This was a two-level bridge with the railway running on the bottom deck.which survives today