815 Greenleaf Avenue. This house was built in 1871 in the Romantic and Italianate style. Designated February 11, 1993. This clapboard Italianate house is a slightly diluted version of 739 Greenleaf, both were built by the same owner, Franklin Newhall. This home was designed for his brother, Frederick. The Newhalls were early and important settlers in the Village; they made their fortune as fruit brokers in Chicago. The house has a mix of architectural styles, including elements of Second Empire and Italianate. The house is a cube with a Mansard roof and pitched roof gables. Paired brackets with large modillions in between trim the gables and the cornice around the entire structure. Mansard hoods protect the windows. The large porch, which covers most of the front, is held by large square posts supporting a lintel with brackets. The double entrance is within a molding with shoulders and feet and a segmental top set against a projecting section that terminates at the upper level of the cornice. This suggests a truncated tower of the Italian Village type popular at the middle of the century. In fact, a two-story belvedere tower rising above the front door section gave the house its nickname, before being removed because it swayed so much.
The Glencoe Historical and Architectural Survey was commissioned in 1985 by the Glencoe Historical Society to identify Glencoe's significant homes and structures. It was done by architectural historian Susan Benjamin of Highland Park, IL. 300 homes and structures were identified based on their 1) historic significance, 2) architectural style or 3) architect. 40 are designated landmarks. For more information see the Glencoe Public Library's Historical and Architectural Survey page.