The last work of Cass Gilbert, the architect behind the Woolworth Building, and one of the last Neoclassical Federal buildings constructed in Manhattan. It is composed of a base constructed like a Greek Temple and a tower topped with a gilded pyramid. Later, it was renamed to honor Supreme Court justice Thurgood Marshall.
The Manhattan Municipal Building was the city's attempt to centralize government departments and agencies into one place after the consolidation of the five boroughs in 1898. Stalin was reportedly an admirer--the "Seven Sisters" skyscrapers in Moscow are supposedly modeled after it.
National Register Number
US Courthouse: 87001596
Municipal Building: 72000879