new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Cancer Research UK - 9 East Street, Bridport | by ell brown
Back to photostream

Cancer Research UK - 9 East Street, Bridport

The town of Bridport in Dorset - it is the gateway to West Bay and the Jurassic Coast.

 

This is now a shop for Cancer Research UK, but it used to be a pub and pharmacy in the past. The fugitive Charles II stayed here on September 23 1651 after escaping the Battle of Worcester.

 

It was The Old George Inn.

 

At 9 East Street.

 

Grade II* listed.

 

9, Bridport

 

1.

5191 EAST STREET

(North Side)

 

No 9 (formerly

listed as No 11)

SY 4692 1/60 28.11.50.

 

II* GV

 

2.

C16/17. Altered in early C19. Stucco. 2 storeys. Ground floor has double-bowed

shop front with glazing bars, reeded pilasters, door jambs and transom, and

a continuous fascia with an arcaded pattern. Double doors with Gothick glazing

bars. 1st floor has 2 segmental bows with sashes with Gothick glazing bars.

Parapet with raised centre, and very elaborate foliated scrolls at the sides

supporting moulded posts with elaborate finials.

Interior. Ground floor has ceiling beams with convex moulding. 2 posts,

1 with stopped chamfers, both with applied Ionic capitals. 3 bay arcade against

rear wall with pointed arches on thin colonnettes and blue and gold painted

glass in spandrels. 1st floor room has C16/17 fireplace with moulded surround

(1 convex and 1 concave chamfer, stopped) and no mantel shelf. Simple Regency

staircase. Dispensary at rear has early Cl9 sash with marginal glazing bars;

door and window reveals panelled with raised moulding.

In the house is preserved a C17 or C18 pottery finial in form of a horse and

rider, which used to be on the roof, and dates from the time when the house

was probably the George Inn. (Similar ones found at Totnes, Plympton, Looe,

Plymouth and Polperro). Charles II stayed at the George as a fugitive on

September 23rd 1651, And was disguised as an ostler to evade capture. The

present firm was established in 1788 by Dr Roberts, who made it widely celebrated

by the manufacture of his patent medicine.

 

Nos 9 to 15 (odd) form a group.

  

Listing NGR: SY4661892951

 

Poor Man's Friend

 

In 1805, Doctor Giles Roberts opened his shop at 9 East Street, formally the Old George Inn where Charles II was almost captured by troops in 1651. Here he was able to set up a laboratory and give lectures. On a panel of the stone seat in Bucky Doo Square, there is reference to a pharmacist shop at 9 East Street.

19,002 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on May 4, 2012