In the early 20th century many towns in East Lothian were home to a Red Cross detachment. In the post-World War II period there has been a gradual centralisation that has seen the region covered by an office in Dalkeith.
This is Nurse Mildred Gladys (Cissie) Snow wearing a Red Cross uniform typical of the Edwardian period. It would likely have been light blue in colour, and the white overalls bear a red cross. The nurse also wears a medal issued by the society. The photograph was taken before 1918.
The International Committee of the Red Cross was formed in 1863 by Henry Dunant, a Swiss citizen horrified by the aftermath of the Battle of Solferino. At the organisation's second international conference in 1864, twelve countries signed the Geneva Convention, primarily regarding the conduct of armies. The British society was formed in 1870, and initially titled 'The British National Society for Aid to the Sick and Wounded in War'.
Acquisition Number - 2002.0511.093