The cemetery "Hoppenlau" is situated in the West of Stuttgart (capital of federal state Baden-Württemberg in Germany) and is the oldest preserved cemetery of this town.
It was foundet in 1626 as an infirmary graveyard on a plot, which has been donated to the town by Johann Kercher in 1622 for that purpose. September the 18th 1628 the donator of the plot, Johann Kercher, was the first to be burried on it. In 1824 the cemetery has been enhanced to 7000 gravesites. The last burial took place in 1880, the separated Jewish section was closed in 1882.
On this ground are buried among others:
- Wilhelm Hauff, writer (1802–1827)
- Christian Friedrich Daniel Schubart, poet and musician (1739–1791)
- Johann Heinrich von Dannecker, sculptor of the classicism (1785–1841)
The picture has been taken in the Jewish section. Enlarging it Hebrew characters become recognizable. The final result has been obtained by exposure bracketing, high dynamic range imaging, BW conversion by channel calculations and toning using the duotone mode (with 4 colors).