It was said of John Evans: "Not only did he make two blades of grass grow where one grew before, but he made many blades to grow where none grew before and served his generation well."
Now his home sits empty and forgotten.....
"John W Evans was educated at the old Mt Zion Academy in Hancock county under the teaching of ex Governor WJ Northen. The outbreak of the Civil War found him a youth of seventeen eager for the struggle. He first joined the Fifteenth Georgia Regiment and later was attached to the Ninth Georgia and served until the close of the war. Returning from the army he became a farmer and followed that pursuit until 1879 when he accepted a position as cashier in the banking house of Lewis Leonard and Company at Hawkinsville. He remained there until 1886 when the attractions of the lumber business caused him to form a partnership with JS Betts and to establish a business at Dempsey Georgia. This was removed in 1889 to Ashburn then a very small village and the firm of JS Betts and Company built up an immense business and incidentally built up the town of Ashburn. Mr Evans was postmaster at Ashburn from 1889 until his death and the great business with which he was identified now conducted under the corporate name of JS Betts Company has long had a reputation throughout lumber circles all over the South. In 1872 Mr Evans married Miss Ella Bohannon a daughter of James Bohannon an extensive planter of Dodge county. Of this marriage six children were born of whom five survive."
For more shots and a history of the Evans-Applewhite house: