A Feldgeistlicher or military chaplain, as identified by the small enamel cross on his cap puts his faith in his God and his gasmask.
After the autumn of 1914, the divisional chaplains were assisted by voluntary field chaplains. In Bavaria there were also chaplains in the field hospitals who took care of the wounded. Several volunteer rabbis were also employed for the Jewish soldiers.
The field uniform laid down for field chaplains in 1913 had purple as its distinguishing colour. They wore the officers' field cap with a purple band and a special white, enamelled cross between the cockades. They also had a large, Feldgrau, felt hat with a purple hatband worn with the brim turned up on the right (above). This also had the cross and cockades mounted in front.
The field uniforms were the same for both confessions, so they wore different crosses to differentiate. These were worn on a chain around the neck for all religious services. The Protestant cross was smooth and decorated with the letters "XP" (Chi-Rho), while the Catholic cross was a crucifix with the body of Christ and silver edging.