Also known as the Northern Liberty Market, the Convention Hall was the chief competitor of Center Market and was built in 1874. Located on the east side of 5th Street, NW, between K and L Streets, the market was designed by James H. McGill and provided 284 vending stalls. Following a disastrous fire in 1946 the market was gutted and rebuilt beyond recognition. Its last use was a wax museum (1966-1974) and was finally razed in 1985. City Vista condominiums are on the site today.