The New Capitol, actually the state's third Capitol building was opened in 1903, and replaced the Old Capitol located at Capitol and State Streets in Jackson. The New Capitol was built on the grounds of the former state penitentiary. The building was designed by Theodore Link, an architect from St. Louis, Missouri. The building is in the Beaux-Arts architectural style, and was designed to house all branches of the Mississippi state government. However, the State's Supreme Court is no longer housed in the building. The original cost of the building was $1,095,681.