new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
George IV Bridge, Edinburgh | by David_Leicafan
Back to group

George IV Bridge, Edinburgh

By Thomas Hamilton, 1829-34. One of the City’s many multi-arched bridges on piers, built up on both sides, carrying a roadway and pavements from Bank Street to Forrest Road/Bristo Place. Visible spans at Cowgate and Merchant Street. Cast-iron railings with anthemion quatrefoils.

 

George IV Bridge was part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern Approach. The plan was first proposed in an article in the Scots Magazine in 1817 (attributed to Hamilton) proposing the formation of 'a Communication between the N and S sides of the City of Edinburgh by means of a bridge entering the Lawnmarket nearly opposite Bank Street.' Hamilton and William Burn produced a 'Report relative to the proposed approaches' in 1824, of which a plan appeared in 'The Scotsman' (27th November 1824). Hamilton and Burn went to London in 1825 to gain support for an Act of Parliament, and the City Improvement Act was passed in 1827.

 

Along the rooftops the main landmarks are (l to r): Central Library by Sir George Washington Browne, 1887-90. Augustine Bristo Congregational Church by J, J M and W H Hay, (Liverpool) 1857-61. Interesting that David Bryce is said to have taken over the job on 7 October 1859 after structural faults were found. Bank of Scotland Headquarters also by Bryce, 1863. Golden statue of Fame by John Rhind.

2,523 views
12 faves
2 comments
Taken on July 8, 2017