The village of Chedzoy is a small village which can be found about two miles east of Bridgwater in Somerset. The parish church of Saint Mary the Virgin was founded in the twelfth century.
In the seventeenth century the church and village were at the centre of major events. In 1645 the Parliamentary general Lord Fairfax made his headquarters in the village during the siege of Bridgwater. In 1685 the Battle of Sedgemoor was fought in the fields between the village and Westonzoyland about one and a half miles to the south east. It is said that the rebel forces of the Duke of Monmouth heard the clock of Chedzoy church striking as they advanced toward the Royal army under cover of darkness.
The church has a wealth of features in addition to a good collection of late nineteenth century and early twentieth century stained glass.
This photograph shows the panel above the doorway into the South porch. The outer pairs of initials may be earlier than the middle date and initials. On the left the letter 'H P' possibly represent the Reverend Hugo Pole who was rector in 1523. On the right the intials 'R B' probably represent Abbot Richard Beere, the penultimate abbot of Glastonbury, who died in 1525. In the middle the initials 'R F' could stand for Richard Fox, Bishop of Winchester, and Lord of the Manor of Taunton who died in 1528. The date may relate to the installation or re installation of the stone. Also at the left of the plaque is a wyvern the badge of Somerset and a pair of what appear to be weaver's combs.