To quote the historical marker:
Zurich Station, formerly Alvord, was established in 1884 as a freight and passenger station on the Carlson & Colorado Railway--known locally as "The Slim Princess."
Zurich was the main railroad station for Big Pine and Points East. It's name was changed to Zurich in 1923 because the Eastern Slope of the Sierras reminded local resident Emelie Nikolaus of her native Switzerland.
The station fell into disuse in the 1940s and was abandoned when the railway ceased operation in 1960.