It is the location of the tallest stone lighthouse in Europe, and the tallest "traditional lighthouse" in the world.
The lighthouse is 82.5 metres (271 ft) tall, made of blocks of granite. The external face is a truncated cone; the interior face is cylindrical, lined with 12,500 opaline glass tiles made by Saint-Gobain. There are five steps to the front door; inside, 360 steps of stone and 32 of iron lead to the lamp platform. The electric lamp was installed in 1952 on the original mechanical turning plate, sitting in a bath of mercury. The plate was replaced with an electric motor in 1983. The lamp has four lenses with a focal length of 0.5m. The twin beam gives a white flash every 5 seconds, visible for 27 nautical miles (50 km; 31 mi). Electrical generators were installed in 1959, supplemented in 1967–1994 by two wind turbines. The light and rotation are switched activated automatically by a photoelectric sensor. Although the lightouse is automated, the site is still manned.