n 1730 the 1st Viscount Powerscourt (of the third creation) commissioned the architect Richard Castle to build Powerscourt House, a 68 room mansion which was completed in 1741. The mansion was designed around the medieval castle in the style of Palladian architecture which is based on the formal classical temple architecture of the Ancient Greeks and Romans. The north front was adapted to present a grand entrance in the Palladian manner, while the south and front faced the gardens and were initially only two storeys in height. An extra storey was added in 1787 and further major alterations were made in the late 19th century. The house contained some of the finest 18th century interiors in Ireland and was one of the country's most beautiful mansions.
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous photo → next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts