Inverness Castle from Castle Wynd Inverness Scotland
The bastion wall (and a well) are the only remaining parts of previous castles on the site. This wall, affording a great view of any trouble coming up the brae from Inverness Town, would have been part of the Castle "upgrade" by General Wade in 1726 who enlarged the then-existing structure into a Hanoverian Fortress - the first "Fort George". That fortress was blown up by the Jacobite forces in 1846 prior to Culloden, and the Castle Hill then lay derelict until the present "Castellated structure" was built in the 1830's.
Part of the "Loch Ness Circular Tour" for our two visitng police pipers from USA.