You probably can't tell from this photo, but my MacBook's magsafe connector has stopped working. It looks like the springs that keep the connectors pointing outwards have failed, so the pins are retracted into the case. I can't get power at all now, and my battery is dead. I used to be able to get it to power up my machine by pressing lightly on it, but in that case it started buzzing and got SUPER hot. Not a good sign.
This isn't a new problem by any means: check the product reviews for the MagSafe on Apple.com. There's over 50 complaints talking about the same thing.
I've decided that my next computer will be a decent PC laptop (ultralight Thinkpad or Vaio most probably) if Apple refuses to send me a new adapter by next day delivery when I phone them up tomorrow. Otherwise, I'll buy one from the Apple centre in town and never by a Mac laptop again (I've had 4).
The list so far of hardware failures with my MacBook (by the way, the repair period was OVER A FRICKING MONTH! On top of that it took them a month from paying for the damn thing to it turning up at my door):
- Stained wrist rests (repaired twice, and now reappeared)
- Random system shutdowns (repaired)
- Loose screen bezel (repaired)
- Broken iSight cable (repaired)
- Loose and misaligned keys (repaired)
- Mooing CPU sound (fixed by firmware update)
- Whining CPU sound (fixed by firmware update)
- Dodgy power cable: won't charge without fiddling with the connection. Gets extremely hot. Now completely non-functional. (replaced)
- Broken Battery (replaced)
- Broken Bluetooth: turns on/off randomly (repaired, now back again)
- Loose casing around the edges of the wristrest (repaired twice, now acceptable)
- LCD case not in alignment with CPU case section (repaired)
- Dodgy DVD drive with CDs and DVDs requiring force in order to insert (repaired)
- Gluestains thanks to douchebag repairman (appeared after first repair: gone after second repair on wristrest. Still on side of LCD)
Btw, this was uploaded on my roommate's computer (really wishing I hadn't eBayed my Shuttle PC now...)
UPDATE: Apple is sending out a new adapter at no extra charge. It should arrive within 2-3 days. That's 2-3 days that I can't use my computer.
Not good enough Apple. My next laptop will be a PC.
UPDATE 2: I've sent in my MacBook for repair (should take 7-14 days, grrr) to sort out the new wristrest stains and gluestains, as well as the non-functioning Bluetooth. I've also received a new battery.
UPDATE 3: Received MacBook back from repair. Within hours, the stains were back, and the Bluetooth has displayed the same problem multiple times (it shows up at no Bluetooth hardware connected). Went to Apple Store London, and Apple refused to offer a replacement. Would only take it in for ANOTHER repair. I'm going to open a case number, and then wait until after my exams to get it fixed again.