Flickr as a Presentation Machine
Flickr has the ability to create "sets" groups of images that are releated (a free flickr account allows you to create up to 3 sets, with a pro account, the sky is the limit). You can add photos to a set several ways- via the Organizr tool, or once a set is made, while browsing your images, you can just use the links above images to "add to set".
There are many ways you might think of to use sets (photos from a class field trip, snapshots from a class performance), one interesting way a few folks are using it is to actually prepare, and share presentation materials-- flickr provides a web friendly format that is easy to share.
The screens above are from one of these I did a year ago with my colleague Brian Lamb, from University of British Columbia. We used this flickr slide show for the Beyond the Blog presentation at the 2006 EDUCAUSE ELi conference, and added a link in the slide show description to the audio recorded form the session. The inset shows the presentation in slideshow format.
Each flickr screen not only contained the image, but a long list of information and web links for each topic. There are about 5 times as many screens as shown- we link to them in non linear paths via the different tags we assigned to our screens.
And not only can you create slideshows from sets, the use of flickr tags automatically creates slideshows, infinite amounts of them! For example, here is one based on my flower photos drawing from my own collection. But I can also use tags across everyone's photos, making for example a slide show all about pumpkins. These links are available from any of flickr's tags display screens
Again, it is only as limited as your imagination.
Check out SlideFlickr which makes it easy to embed a flickr set into any web page.
* Being There - Tweets, Avatars, Nets - an annotated version of my longish presentation done for Faculty Academy 2007
* Why I'm Using Social Software presentation in flickr by Barbara Ganley, Middlebury College
* The Teaching Files: X-rays - a photoset on Flickr
* Embed Powerpoint Slides as Flash Presentations in your Blog without Spending a Dime how to export images from PowerPoint, load into a flickr set, and then embed display code in your own web page (Digital Inspiration)
* Flickr as Presentation Tool Screencast (Beth's Blog)
return to cool flickr stuff
This is but one piece of "I Didn't Know You Could Do That with Free Web Tools", a presentation for the 2006 K-12 Online Conference. Other pieces are scattered across the web!