The sign has long been a symbol of the glamour associated with Hollywood. Built in the fall of 1923, the sign originally read “HOLLYWOODLAND” and was constructed as advertising for a subdivision at the top of Beachwood Canyon. Each letter is now constructed of steel and is approximately 50 feet high. The length is 450 feet.
Visit the interactive maps and images about Monuments: Diversity, Democracy and Freedom by The City Project.
Photo Credit: www.flickr.com/photos/7294653@N07/ / CC BY-NC 2.0