- Directional navigation indicating which page the story continues on
- Section headers and previews of content inside, again with directional/page number indicators - nicely spaced headers methinks.
- Right-ragged indicating 'comment', as opposed to justified elsewhere indicating 'news'. Will readers pick that up?
- Magazine-like layout freedom here (almost Alexey Brodovitch on the Judi Dench image!) implies the magazine-like colour and layout possible in G2.
- New logo. Not sure about that lower case, though the logo works well in terms of balancing other colour elements and layout.
- Interesting place to put the barcode - wonder if that's a result of testing?
- New typeface, designed for the paper by Christian Schwartz and Paul Barners; Guardian Egyptian. A family of faces, from bold (as per the title) to lighter headers and body text. Cleverly modern feel, as per a san serif, but with some of the flair of serif
The Guardian redesigns on Monday 12th September 2005 - here's the new front page, as posted up on the Editor's Blog on Sunday night. Interestingly, it was different by the time it hit the streets of London on Monday morning. The Guardian has made full PDFs of the entire finished paper available here. Part of a post on the redesign at City of Sound.