Hard to believe this 55 story high-rise, built in 1964 by Sidney Morris & Associates, and its sister building to the right (completed in 1954 by the same architects), replaced the Edith Rockefeller McCormick mansion (built in 1883 by Solon S. Beman). The greatest loss was the house's ornamental gate, which had come from the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893. The German Kaiser had presented it as a gift and it was used as part of the German pavilion. In 1953 during the mansion's demolition, the fence was deemed unsuitable and "not congruous with the modern building" replacing it. Sad.