151 W. Burton Place (1932-1935 Remodeling)
Architects: Sol Kogen and Edgar Miller
Two art students, Sol Kogen and Edgar Miller, conceived of a plan to develop an artist studio complex by redeveloping a number of buildings on what was then known as Carl Street in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood. This 1887 house was transformed into a stylish apartment building. A front addition brought the house directly up to the street, while the rear grew into the old coach house. The rough brick walls were contrasted with three sets of rounded corner windows. Glass and tile scavenged from the 1933 World's Fair now line the interior's stairways and halls.