The Nicholas Murray Butler Library, commonly known simply as Butler Library, is the largest single library in the Columbia University Library System, which contains over 8.6 million books, and is one of the largest buildings on the Morningside Heights campus of Columbia University in the City of New York. Proposed as "South Hall" by University President Nicholas Murray Butler as expansion plans for Low Memorial Library stalled, the new library was funded by Edward Harkness, benefactor of Yale's residential college system, and designed by his favourite architect, James Gamble Rogers. It was completed in 1934 and renamed for Butler in 1946.
This photo also appears in
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous photo → next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts