- Bill Walsh, copy chief, acting as news editor.
- Steve Katz, assistant news editor.
- John Hoxie in the night-side slot. At the time, John was not only one of my assistant slots but also my landlord.
- Mary Margaret Green in the day-side slot. She's still there.
- I believe that's part-timer Bob Selle, and just barely visible in the orange-ish shirt behind him is Patrick J. Tuohy, who is now the copy chief.
- The managing editor's office. At this point that would be Josette Shiner. Josette now heads up the U.N. World Food Program. She is also the catmother from whom I obtained my beloved Gordie.
- Up on the mezzanine is Editor in Chief Wesley Pruden's office.