new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Victoria Cross Holders Memorial, Leeds. This includes both those born in Leeds and buried in Leeds | by Bolckow
Back to photostream

Victoria Cross Holders Memorial, Leeds. This includes both those born in Leeds and buried in Leeds

Arthur Louis Aaron


On 12th August 1943 during a raid on Turin, Italy, Flight Sergeant Aaron's bomber was hit by gunfire ( possibly from a night fighter, but may have been friendly fire from another Stirling). The Stirling was very badly damaged; Three engines were hit, the windscreen shattered, the front and rear turrets put out of action and the elevator control damaged, causing the aircraft to become unstable and difficult to control. The navigator was killed, other members of the crew were wounded, Flight Sergeant Aaron's jaw was broken and part of his face was torn away. He had also been hit in the lung and his right arm was useless. Despite his terrible injuries he managed to level the aircraft out at 3000ft. Unable to speak, Flight Sergeant Aaron urged the bomb aimer with gestures to take over the controls. The crippled bomber made for the nearest Allied bases in North Africa. Aaron was then assisted to the rear of the aircraft and given morphia. After resting he insisted on returning to the cockpit where he was lifted back into his seat where he made a determined effort to take control and fly the aircraft although his weakness was evident and he was eventuall persuaded to desist. In great pain and suffering from exhaustion he continued to help by writing directions with his left hand. Five hours after leaving the target fuel was now low, but Bone airfield was sighted. Flight Sergeant Aaron summoned his failing strength to successfully direct the bomb aimer in belly-landing the damaged aircraft in the darkness. He died nine hours after the aircraft touched down. He was one of three Jewish VC's of the Second World War - the others being Tommy Gould, RN and John Keneally, Irish Guards - real name John Leslie.


George Sanders


George Sanders was the son of Thomas and Amy Sanders. He received his education at Little Holbeck School and after completing his time there was indentured as an apprentice fitter at the nearby Airedale Foundry. George enlisted for service on November 9th 1914 and was drafted to the 1/7th Battalion as a corporal, West Yorkshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's Own), British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC. On 1 July 1916 near Thiepval, France, during the Battle of the Somme, after an advance into the enemy's trenches, Corporal Sanders found himself isolated with a party of 30 men. He organised his defences, detailed a bombing party, and impressed upon the men that his and their duty was to hold the position at all costs. Next morning he drove off an attack by the enemy, rescuing some prisoners who had fallen into their hands. Later two bombing attacks were driven off, and he was finally relieved after 36 hours. All this time his party had been without food and water, having given their water to the wounded during the first night. After receiving his Victoria Cross, 18 November 1916 at Buckingham Palace, from the King, he returned to the front.

April 1918: The Germans launched their "Spring Offensive". Sanders unit, the West Yorks, were at Mount Kemmel. Heavy fighting ensued and acting Captain Sanders was awarded the Military Cross. He was taken prisoner of war (POW) on 25 April and listed as wounded and missing with injuries to both his right arm and leg, last seen carrying his revolver in his left hand. Sanders was interned at the Limburg POW camp. In July he managed to get a letter to his father telling of his capture and captivity. On 26 December Captain Sanders was sent back to England, and he was discharged March 1919. After the war he attended a victory party (June 1920) and a Victoria Cross reunion dinner on the tenth anniversary of the end of the war (November 1929) both at Buckingham Palace. George Sanders VC MC died in Leeds on April 4th 1950 aged 56. His funeral was held at the Cottingley Crematorium in the city. It is believed that George's son Kenneth Sanders still lives in Leeds and retains his fathers Military Cross and Victoria Cross.


David Philip Hirsch


He was 20 years old, and an Acting Captain in the 4th Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own), British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC. On 23rd April 1917 near Wancourt, France, during an attack, Captain Hirsch having arrived at the first objective, although wounded, returned over fire-swept slopes to satisfy himself that the defensive flank was being established. Machine-gun fire was so intense that it was necessary for him to be continuously up and down the line encouraging and steadying his men. He stood on the parapet, in the face of machine-gun fire and counter-attack, until he was killed.




Edward McKenna


He was 36 years old, and a colour-sergeant in the 65th Regiment of Foot (later the 1st Bn, York and Lancaster Regiment), British Army during the Waikato-Hauhau Maori War, New Zealand when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC. On 7th September 1863 near Cameron Town, New Zealand, after both his officers had been shot, Colour-Sergeant McKenna, with a small force, heavily outnumbered by the enemy, charged through their position with the loss of one man killed and one missing. The colour-sergeant's coolness and intrepidity amply justified the confidence placed in him by the soldiers brought so suddenly under his command. For this deed he also received the rank of Ensign. Grave/memorial at Buried at Terrace End Cemetery, Palmerston North, New Zealand. Presbyterian Block II. Plot 65.

His Gravestone reads: Edward McKenna, V.C. late ensign, 65th Reg, also N.Z.R., died 8 June 1908 aged 79; also Elizabeth Gordon, wife of the above. R.I.P. In October 1865 his regiment was recalled to England, but Edward had grown attached to the colony, he sold his commission and remained. He joined the New Zealand Railways as a clerk and soon rose to be Station Master at Kaiapoi, Ashburton, Invercargill, Gore, Greatford, Halcombe and early 1880s Palmerston North. He eventually retired to Palmerston North where he later died. Edward McKenna and Elizabeth Gordon had 13 children between them and today there would exist a large number of relatives throughout New Zealand.


William Boynton Butler (VC, Croix de Guerre (France)) (20 November 1894-25 March 1972)


Bulter was 22 years old, and a private in the 17th Battalion, The West Yorkshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's Own), British Army, attached to 106th TM. Battery during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC. On 6 August 1917 east of Lempire, France, Private Butler was in charge of a Stokes gun in trenches which were being heavily shelled. Suddenly one of the fly-off levers of a Stokes shell came off and fired the shell in the emplacement. Private Butler picked up the shell and shouted a warning to a party of infantry. He then turned and put himself between the party of men and the live shell, holding it until they were out of danger, when he threw it on to the parades and took cover. The shell exploded, damaging the trench, but only confusing Private Butler. The Victoria Cross, campaign medals and commemorative medals awarded to Private William Butler, 17th Bn, West Yorkshire Regiment, have been acquired by the Michael Ashcroft Trust, the holding instution for Lord Ashcroft's VC Collection. The William Butler VC group will go on display in the Lord Ashcroft Gallery in the Imperial War Museum.


Medal entitlement of Private William Butler, 17th Bn, West Yorkshire Regiment


Victoria Cross

British War Medal ( 1914-20 )

Victory Medal ( 1914-19 )

King George VI Coronation Medal ( 1937 )

Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal ( 1953 )

Croix de Guerre ( France )


For the award of the Victoria Cross


[ London Gazette, 17 October 1917 ], Near Lempire, France, 6 August 1917, Private William Boynton Butler, 17th Bn, West Yorkshire Regiment, att'd 106th Trench Mortar Battery.


For most conspicuous bravery ( East of Lempire, France ) when in charge of a Stokes gun in trenches which were being heavily shelled. Suddenly one of the fly-off levers of a Stokes shell came off and fired the shell in the emplacement. Private Butler picked up the shell and jumped to the entrance of the emplacement, which at that moment a party of infantry were passing. He shouted to them to hurry past as the shell was going off, and turning round, placed himself between the party of men and the live shell and so held it till they were out of danger. He then threw the shell on to the parados, and took cover in the bottom the trench. The shell exploded almost on leaving his hand, greatly damaging the trench. By extreme good luck Private Butler was contused only. Undoubtedly his great presence of mind and disregard of his own life saved the lives of the officer men in the emplacement and the party which was passing at the time. William Butler was invested with his Victoria Cross by King George V at Buckingham Palace on the 5th December 1917. William Butler died in hospital on the 25th March 1972 and was given a full military funeral on the 29th, the bearer party being drawn from senior NCOs and members of the Royal British Legion. He was buried in Hunslet Cemetery, Leeds. The grave was originally unmarked, but this was rectified in 1996 where a local firm of monumental masons offered to provide a headstone for the grave free of charge


Jack White


White was 20 years old, and a private in the 6th Battalion, The King's Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment, British Army during the First World War when, on 7/8 March 1917 on the Dialah River, Mesopotamia, the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC. This citation was gazetted on 27 June 1917: War Office, 27th June, 1917. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Victoria Cross to the undermentioned Officer, Warrant Officer, Non-commissioned Officers and men:— No. 18105 Pte. Jack White, R. Lanc. R.

For most conspicuous bravery and resource. This signaller during an attempt to cross a river saw the two Pontoons ahead of him come under heavy machine-gun fire, with disastrous results.

When his own Pontoon had reached midstream, with every man except himself either dead or wounded, finding that he was unable to control the Pontoon, Pte. White promptly tied a telephone wire to the Pontoon, jumped overboard, and towed it to the shore, thereby saving an officer's life and bringing to land the rifles and equipment of the other men in the boat, who were either dead or dying.


Frederick McNess


He was 24 years old, and a Lance-Sergeant in the 1st Battalion, Scots Guards, British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 15th September 1916 near Ginchy, France, during a period of severe fighting, Lance-Sergeant McNess led his men with great dash in the face of heavy shell and machine-gun fire. When the first line of the enemy trenches was reached, it was found that the left flank was exposed and that the enemy were bombing down the trench. Sergeant McNess thereupon organised and led a counter-attack and although he was very severely wounded in the neck and jaw, did not give up. Finally he established a "block" and continued encouraging his men and throwing bombs until exhausted by loss of blood. He later achieved the rank of Sergeant.

His Victoria Cross is displayed at The Guards Regimental Headquarters, London, England.


Laurence Calvert


Laurence Calvert VC MM (February 16th 1892- July 6th 1964) He was 26 years old, and a Sergeant in the 5th Battalion, The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, British Army during the First World War when, on 12th September 1918 at Havrincourt, France, the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC. The full citation was published in a supplement to the London Gazette of 12th November 1918 (dated 15th November 1918): War Office, 15th November, 1918. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Victoria Cross to the undermentioned Officers, Noncommissioned Officers and Men: — No. 240194 Sgt. Laurence Calvert, M.M.. K.O.Y.L.I. (Conisbro'). For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty in attack when the success of the operation was rendered doubtful owing, to severe enfilade machine-gun fire. Alone and single-handed Sjt. Calvert, rushing forward against the machine-gun team, bayoneted three and shot four. His valour and determination in capturing single-handed two machine guns and killing the crews thereof enabled the ultimate objective to be won. His personal gallantry inspired all ranks. He was also awarded the Military Medal (MM), and the Belgian Order of Leopold (with palm), in the grade of Chevalier.


Albert Mountain VC Croix de Guerre and Medaille Militaire (France) (19th April 1895 - 7th January 1967).


Mountain won his VC while serving as a sergeant in the 15/17th Battalion, The Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment), British Army. The citation for his VC reads: On 26th March 1918 at Hamelincourt, France, when the situation was critical, Sergeant Mountain with a party of 10 men attacked an advance enemy patrol of about 200 strong with a Lewis gun, killing half of them. The sergeant then rallied his men in the face of overwhelming numbers of the main body of the enemy, to cover the retirement of the rest of the company - this party of one NCO and four men held at bay 600 of the enemy for half an hour. Sergeant Mountain later took command of the flank post of the battalion, holding on for 27 hours until finally surrounded. His Victoria Cross is displayed at The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire Museum, York, England.


Alfred Atkinson VC (6th February 1874 - 21st February 1900)


He was 26 years old, and a sergeant in the 1st Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own), British Army during the Second Boer War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC. On 18th February 1900 during the Battle of Paardeberg, South Africa, Sergeant Atkinson went out seven times under heavy and close fire to obtain water for the wounded. At the seventh attempt he was wounded in the head and died a few days afterwards. His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Green Howards Museum, Richmond, Yorkshire, England.


Charles Ward


Ward was 22 years old, and a Private in the 2nd Battalion, The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, British Army during the South African War (Boer War) when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC: On 26th June 1900 at Lindley, South Africa, a picquet of the regiment was surrounded on three sides by about 500 Boers and the majority of them were either killed or wounded. Private Ward volunteered to take a message asking for reinforcements to the signalling post about 150 yards away. He was eventually allowed to go, although it seemed certain that he would be shot, and he managed to get across through a storm of bullets. Having delivered his message, he returned to his commanding officer across the fire-swept ground, and was severely wounded, but his gallant action saved the post from capture.


Citation London Gazette 28th Sept 1900 "On 26th June 1900 at Lindley, a piquet of the Yorkshire Light Infantry was surrounded on 3 sides by about 500 Boers at close quarters. The two officers were wounded and all but six of the men killed or wounded. Pt. Ward then volunteered to take a message asking for reinforcements to the signalling station about 150 yards in the rear of the post. His offer was at first refused owing to the practical certainty of him being shot, but on his insisting, he was allowed to go. He got across untouched through a storm of shots from each flank and, having delivered his message, he voluntarily returned from a place of absolute safety and re crossed the fire swept ground to assure his C.O. that the message had been sent. On this occasion he was severely wounded. But for this gallant action the post would certainly have been captured."


Charles Burley Ward's grave, following his death in 1921, was originally marked by a wooden cross which had been remembered by David Clark, a member of the Glamorgan Family History Society, before it disappeared. For some years there was no indication of the burial place. Eventually John O'Sullivan a South Wales Echo and BBC Journalist and a recent resident in the Parish, carried out extensive enquiries in tracing records of the VC and his history. Charles Ward was decorated with the Victoria Cross by H.M. Queen Victoria at Windsor Castle 15th December 1900. His was the last Victoria Cross to be presented by the Queen before her death the following January.


As a result of considerable effort by John O'Sullivan, the British Legion, Whitchurch and others, a series of events were arranged to mark the unveiling of a War Grave Commission style headstone to the memory of Sgt. Major Charles Burley Ward. Following a processional hymn, National Anthem, citation, lesson, address and prayers, the headstone was unveiled by Major General P.E. de la C. de la Billiere, CBE, DSO, KC., General Officer Commanding Wales. Also present were Mrs Susan Williams, Lord Lieutenant of South Glamorgan, Capt. Lloyd-Edwards, OSt.J, RD, DL, RKR(Rtd), former Lord Mayor of Cardiff, Councillor Y.P. Herbert, Deputy Lord Mayor, Rev. Canon F.G. Turner, Vicar, Mr Eddie Chapman, VC. Another VC of South Wales, Lord Justice Tasker Watkins was unable to be present due to another engagement. About twenty members of Ward's family including a daughter Mrs Edith Chapman from Australia were present. Mr Ward was a widower when he married a second time. At the time of his death he was living at Soberton Avenue, off Whitchurch Road, Cardiff. After the ceremony in St Mary's churchyard, there was a march past led by the Light Infantry Burma Band, followed by Standard Bearers and Escorts when the salute was taken by General de la Billiere. In the evening there was a reception and entertainment at the Royal British Legion Earl Haig Club, Whitchurch, when a portrait of Sgt. Major Ward VC by Llanrumney artist Ray Chick was unveiled.


John Pearson


Pearson was born 19 January 1825 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England; died 18 April 1892 in Lion's Head, Eastnor Twp., Bruce Co., Ontario. He married firstly Selina Smart in the General Baptist Church in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, England on 6th April 1851. At that time he is shown as age 25 a Private in the Eighth Hussars, living in the Barracks in Trowbridge, the son of Stephen Pearson, a gardener. Selina Smart is shown as age 20, a Spinster, a Feeder by Profession, living on Stallard Street, the d/o Edward Smart, a Spinner. He was 33 years old when he gained his medal, and a private in the 8th Hussars (The King's Royal Irish), British Army during the Indian Rebellion of 1857 when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 17 June 1858 at Gwalior, India, Private Pearson - together with a captain (Clement Walker Heneage), a sergeant (Joseph Ward) and a farrier (George Hollis) - was in a gallant charge made by a squadron of the 8th Hussars when, supported by a division of the Bombay Horse Artillery and the 95th Regiment, they routed the enemy. Charging through a rebel camp into two batteries, they captured and brought into their own camp two of the enemy's guns, under a heavy and converging fire from the fort and town.


Charles Hull


He was 25 years old, and a Private in the 21st Lancers (Empress of India's), British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 5th September 1915 at Hafiz Kor, N.W. Frontier, India, Private Hull rescued an officer from certain death at the hands of the tribesmen. The latter's horse had been shot and Private Hull took the officer up behind on his own horse, under heavy fire at close range, and galloped away to safety.


Corporal Charles Hull


Harrogate Herald - 7th February 1917


Very small extract out of a very long and interesting letter by Private D T Wilks from India


Our camp is not far away from my old comrade, C Hull, but up to now I have not got into touch with him, though I did hear, from one of our YMCA friends that he had been acting as "best man" at the wedding of the officer whose life he saved when he got the VC.


Harrogate Herald - 8th January 1919


W H Breare letter


Trooper H G Smith, of the Dragoon Guards, one of the seven Harrogate men in the same regiment, was in the Army at the outbreak of war, and is on Christmas leave from his depot. His time was up two years ago, and he shortly expects his discharge. His sister, Miss Ivy G A Smith, was one of the first Harrogate girls to go on munitions, and has been presented with a shell in recognition of her full services. [See photograph in this issue] Her eldest sister was also on munitions. Trooper Smith joined the Regular Army at the same time as Harry Petty, one of Mr and Mrs J R Petty's six sons, who quickly rallied to the Colours when the war broke out, and was in the same class at Western Council School as Charley Hull, the Harrogate VC, who is in India.


Harrogate Herald - 12th November 1919


The Harrogate VC, Corporal Charles Hull, of the 21st Lancers, son of Mr and Mrs John Hull, of Albert Terrace, reached home on Monday night, after being away some nine years. His arrival was totally unexpected by his family, as, though it was known late in the day that the ship In which he had crossed had docked at Portsmouth on Saturday, the messages he had sent from the ship were delayed in transit, and he was still believed to be in the South. As a matter of fact, Corporal Hull had journeyed North on Sunday night, and the train on its way to the Ripon Dispersal Camp ran through Harrogate early on Monday morning. The VC kept a sharp look-out at Harrogate to recognise friends and acquaintances, but at half-past six o'clock there were very few people about, and none that he knew. He was busy with kit matters at Ripon during the day, and in the evening he came to Harrogate and pleasantly surprised his parents by his appearance. Corporal Hull looked the picture of health after the Indian campaign, and has grown and filled out after the nine years abroad so much that his acquaintances have to look twice to recognise in the stalwart soldier the man who went away. He has nearly twelve years' service in the Army, and is on a month's furlough, at the end of which he is taking leave of the Army. Corporal Hull was a postman in Harrogate before he joined the Colours. His father is an old employee of the Harrogate Corporation.


Corporal Hull won the VC in the 1915 operations on the north-west frontier of India by gallantly going to the rescue of Captain G E D Learoyd, who had been unhorsed, and was surrounded by his enemies, and who would have been killed but for the behaviour of Corporal Hull. The Harrogate soldier got his officer up behind him on his horse, and carried him to safety from amid the native enemy. Captain Learoyd died in Risalpur about a year ago. He was suddenly taken ill with influenza, and this turned to pneumonia, to which he succumbed in hospital.


Corporal Hull, in addition to the VC, was awarded the Croix de Guerre by the French.


The father of Captain Learoyd presented the Harrogate VC with a handsome gold watch and chain, suitable inscribed.


The parents of Corporal Hull received the following letters from Captain Learoyd's father :


Launds Abbey, Leicester


Dear Sir, I have only just become acquainted with your address, and hasten to congratulate you and Mrs Hull on your son's well-earned VC for his very gallant and brave action in saving my son in the action at Shabkadir. You may well imagine how grateful Mrs Learoyd and I and all our family we feel towards your son, and look forward to the day when we may thank him personally. I also intend coming to see you sometime, but shall have to postpone the pleasure some time, as I am not very well at present. With our kindest regards to you and Mrs Hull,


Believe me, yours very sincerely,


A E Learoyd


Dear Mr Hull, I am very sorry I could not find time to come over to Harrogate to hand you the watch and chain for your gallant son, so I decided to send it you by post. Again I should like to say how grateful my family feel towards your son, and how sincerely we congratulate you, his parents, in owning such a splendid fellow for a son. May he soon come to you safe and sound.


Yours very sincerely,


A E Learoyd


It would be in accordance with the fitness of things if the townspeople were given an opportunity of publicly welcoming Corporal Hull back to his native town.


Harrogate Herald – 30th June 1920


Wednesday Gossip


Among those present at the King's garden party to winners of the VC, were Mr and Mrs Smith Bell and Mrs Donald Bell. "Don" Bell, as he was popularly known, made the great sacrifice shortly after the award, but had he lived the day would have been the happiest in his life. Mr Smith Bell was struck by the simplicity and humanity of the party, and speaks in high terms of the King's great interest in the men. Corporal Hull, who was also present with his parents, is now a policeman at Leeds. His mother was delighted that His Majesty should remember the circumstances under which her boy won his VC, and speaks highly of the welcome they received.


Harrogate Herald – 6th October 1920


Mr Charles Hull, VC, of Harrogate, who won the bronze cross as a shoeing-smith with the 21st Lancers on the Indian Frontier in 1916, and who is now a constable in the Leeds Police Force, was married at All Hallows' Church, l, on Saturday afternoon, to Mrs Eliza Ann Brown, of Rosebank Grove, Leeds.


The ceremony was performed by the Vicar (the Rev A B Fisher) in the presence of a large congregation.


Harrogate Herald - 4th July 1956


"In Proud Memory" - Lieutenant Colonel G E B Stephenson is pictured as he unveiled a plaque in St Peter's School, Harrogate, on Friday, in memory of the school's two holders of the Victoria Cross, the late Second Lieutenant Donald Simpson Bell, of the Green Howards, and the late Private Charles Hull, of the 21st Lancers, who won their awards in 1916. on the left is the Mayor of Harrogate, Councillor Edwin Pickard.




Harry M. Daniels VC MC


(13th December 1884- 13th December 1953) Harry Daniels was the 13th child of baker in Wymondham, Norfolk. He joined the army at a young age and served abroad in India. He was 30 years old, and a Company Sergeant-Major in the 2nd Battalion of The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own), British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC. On 12th March 1915 at Neuve Chapelle, France, his unit was ordered into an advance on the German trenches across no-man's land which was covered by machine guns and strewn with barbed wire. Daniels and another man, Cecil Reginald Noble, voluntarily rushed in front with cutters and attacked the wires They were both wounded at once, Noble dying later of his wounds. For further activities on the Western Front he was awarded the Military Cross. He later achieved the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Royal Green Jackets Museum at Winchester, England.


John Crawshaw Raynes


The link takes you to the gentleman's life story and includes photos




and also see


Wilfred Edwards VC


(16th February 1893 - 4th January 1972) He was 24 years old, and a private in the 7th Battalion, The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC. On 16th August 1917 at Langemarck, Belgium, when all the company officers were lost, Private Edwards, without hesitation and under heavy machine-gun and rifle fire from a strong concrete fort, dashed forward at great personal risk, bombed through the loopholes, surmounted the fort and waved to his company to advance. Three officers and 30 other ranks were taken prisoner by him in the fort. Later he did most valuable work as a runner and eventually guided most of the battalion out through very difficult ground. Throughout he set a splendid example and was utterly regardless of danger. Edwards was commissioned a second lieutenant in December 1917 and was demobilised in June 1919. He re-enlisted in the Kings Own Yorkshre Light Infantry (KOYLI) when World War II broke out and rose to the rank of major. His medals are currently displayed in the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry Museum, Doncaster, England.


Arthur Poutler


He was 24 years old, and a private in the 1/4th Battalion, The Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC. On 10th April 1918 at Erquinghem Lys, France, Private Poulter, who was acting as a stretcher-bearer, on 10 occasions carried badly wounded men on his back through particularly heavy artillery and machine-gun fire. Two of the wounded were hit a second time whilst on his back. Again, after a withdrawal over the river had been ordered, Private Poulter returned in full view of the enemy and carried back another man who had been left behind wounded. He bandaged 40 men under fire and was seriously wounded when attempting another rescue in the face of the enemy.


text from this member


and also from


see also

4 faves
Taken on January 5, 2007