Collection: Benedictine University Archives, Benedictine University Library
Title: December 2011 Photo of the Month: [Procopian News staff holiday card, side 1]
Date: c.December 1963
Place: North America: U.S.; Lisle, IL;
Type: 4x6 Photograph
Description: This is one of two photos used for a two-sided holiday postcard insert in the Procopian News, likely for the December 17, 1963 edition. who have accessorized their pants-optional attire with (standing, left to right): a bottle of Chianti, a shirt from Chicago’s famous Baby Doll Polka Club (formerly at 73rd and Western and owned by polka legend Eddie Korosa) and a hand of poker, whiskey being poured into bongo drums, a guitar, and a Schlitz tray. The first photo (see Procopian News staff holiday card side 1 www.flickr.com/photos/benedictineuniversity/6436295699/), used for the front of the card, shows the staff in their hardworking student reporter mode.
Ben U’s campus newspaper has almost as many name changes as it has awards and recognition. In 1962, the year prior to this photo, the Associated Collegiate Press rated it in the top 15 monthly papers from schools under 500 students. It began as Studentské Listy in 1906 and was primarily written in Czech until c.1916. In 1926, the name changed to Student Life and it ceased carrying Czech language content. The paper changed names again in 1930, to the Campus Scout, but quickly switched again in 1931 to the Procopian News. After the school’s name changed from St. Procopius College to Illinois Benedictine College the paper underwent a rapid series of names, becoming The Flux in 1971, The Torch in 1976, and finally The Candor in 1981.
Photo ID: 2011-12_POTM
There are no known U.S. copyright restrictions on this image. The digital file is owned by the Benedictine University Library which is making it freely available through a Creative Commons license with the request that the Library be credited as its source.
Click here to visit Benedictine University'sArchives & Special Collections site.