Kraków - Synagoga Kupa ✡
The Kupa Synagogue at Miodowa Street in Kraków was founded in the 17th century thanks to donations from the local community. It was known as the Poor People's Synagogue, as poorer members of the community worshipped there, and also as the Hospital Synagogue, due to its proximity to a Jewish hospital.
Work on this synagogue was started at the end of the 16th century, but the fire of 1623 destroyed it and it was necessary to rebuild it from the ground up. After the years of building and rebuilding it was finally opened for worship in 1647.
The building is a simple square structure with a gabled roof. The singular feature that denotes the its original function is its tall arched windows, which are a characteristic feature of Polish synagogues. The prayer hall is equally modest, with its sole ornamental feature being the polychrome depiction of the Holy Land.
During the German occupation the synagogue was severely damaged and its furnishings destroyed. A thorough restoration took place in 2000-2001 which not only restored the paintings of the synagogue but also uncovered some of the synagogues older features such as murals on the walls. The synagogue is used for exhibitions and concerts, as well as being open to the general public.