This Octagon house was built about 1860. It was occupied in 1882 by Emaline Hawley Brown and her husband, Joseph P. Brown. They had 2 daughters, Laura and Hattie. In 1889 Laura married Joseph Nightengale and moved to Fairmont Minn. Hattie married Lorenzo Porter and had one son Howard. After the two daughters married, the three women corresponded frequently, ultimately exchanging more than seven hundred letters which were eventually collected and brought back to Barrington. Floyd and Bess Hawley purchased the house in 1950 and lived here until their passing. H. Parker Sharpe restored the building in 1984.