Pat Collins with his new book, and Dennis Flynn
The SS Kyle - Part of Our History
Photo: Neddal Ayad
Two great story tellers of Conception Bay North, (l-r) Pat Collins and Dennis Flynn. Pat at the launch of this new book "The Spirit of the S.S. Kyle: 1913-2013: Celebrating One Hundred Years of Marine Majesty"
For more information on the cultural importance of the SS Kyle see: baccalieu.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/the-klye-part-of-our-h...
The S.S. Kyle was launched on April 17th, 1913 by Mrs. R.G. Reid, wife of the President of the Reid Newfoundland Company. The ship was part of the Reid Newfoundland Coastal Fleet. In 1915, after two years as a costal boat on Newfoundland's northeast coast, the S.S. Kyle was became the North Sydney/Port aux Basque ferry. Later it provided the Labrador region with its first regularly scheduled service. Many people from Conception Bay North travelled on the Kyle to participate in the Labrador fishery for the fishing season. In addition to passengers and cargo, the Kyle also carried a doctor whom the people would receive medical attention from.
In 1961, Captian Guy Earle of the "Earle Brothers Freighting Company" of Carbonear purchased the vessel and used it in the seal hunt until 1965 when it was badly damaged by ice. At that time it was taken out of service and anchored in Harbour Grace. During a storm on February 4th, 1967, the boat was torn from its moorings and blown to Riverhead where it is today.
Libby Earle, the daughter of Capain Guy Earle, has been "Swiming the Kyle" to bring attention to the plight of this amazing monument of Newfoundland history.
Libby Earle's 3rd Annual "Swim the Kyle" Event to try to save the historic boat. Harbour Grace, Newfoundland and Labrador. This year, Kelly Russell recited "Smokeroom on the Kyle" from the deck of the Kyle in Riverhead, Harbour Grace. Kelly's Dad, Ted Russell, wrote the much loved Newfoundland story poem, "Smokeroom on the Kyle."