Scrambled Eggs - The Commoner AUD12
The moment I sat down, I was fascinated with all the bits and pieces used to decorate the room. Dani Valent calls it "Shabby Chic" and I'd agree. Very stylishly shabby chic.
We'd just read about the adventurous breakfast of panfried gingerbread and since we were in the area, we decided to drop by. We made it just in time because they stopped accepting customers for breakfast after 10:30!
As expected, the panfried gingerbread was wonderfully light and fluffy on the inside with a crust of caramelised honey and butter. Paired with rustically lumpy house-made yoghurt and crunchy caramelised bananas, it was very good, although, the gingerbread could have stood up on its own with just the yoghurt.
The scrambled eggs were creamy and well presented with a dressed pile of rocquette leaves.
The service was very good, and despite the number of times the waitresses had to turn breakfast-seekers away after 10:30, they were always good natured. When I was settling the bill, one girl even said, nay, almost secretly whispered that they had just put a whole goat in the woodfire oven out back, slowly roasting until lunchtime! Wow. I was already planning my next visit to have some of the woodfire roasted suckling pig they had on as the April Fool's specials, but it seems I could just walk in any Sunday lunch and be greeted by a slow roasted dish! mmm...
122 Johnston St Fitzroy 3065
(03) 9415 6876
- Breakfast for the brave, by Nina Rousseau, The Age, Epicure April 8, 2008
- The Commoner, by Dani Valent, The Age, Epicure July 17, 2007
-The Commoner, by Matt Preston, The Age, Epicure May 28, 2007
- Display Shelf
- Man + decor
- Decor + people
- Decor + less people
- Pudds specials
- Sugar bowls
- Scrambled Eggs
- Panfried Ginger Bread with Caramelised Bananas, House-made Yoghurt and Wildflower Honey
- Woodfire Oven
- 180-degree fish-eye lenses, Running Water - Unisex washroom decor
- Running Water - Unisex washroom decor
- Beware of limbo dancers, Loads over 10lbs lower by Rope - Unisex washroom decor
- Shop front - The Commoner
Fitzroy walkabout photos:
- Shop front - Curious Eidolon, Fitzroy - 50% off closing down sale. How sad...
- Ice-cream vixen - Curious Eidolon, Fitzroy
- Casa Iberica, Fitzroy - Spanish, Latin American supermarket
- Shop front - Los Amates, Fitzroy - reputedly one of the best Mexican in Melbourne, not Tex Mex...
- Gingerbread Man - Babka
- One Twenty Bar