Their Last Catch of the Day
The probe droid was a good catch, it was just that the restraining bolt didn't fit. Oh well, it's just a stupid machine, it couldn't possibly escape from a sandcrawler just like that, could it?
In order to actually accomplish a Tatooine photoseries an acquisition had to take place. I needed the Lego sandcrawler set 10144. It is hard to find for a reasonable price and I had to search for it for a little while. It had to be from Europe to avoid customs & taxes, and it didn't have to be new because it was to be used for photography. Eventually, I found one from Germany, it said "used" on the eBay ad, I believe there was also something about "dust", too. What I got was a pile of cigarrette reeking Lego bricks with a sticky yellow surface. I should've just returned it. Instead, I washed it, I washed each and every single brick, plate, slope and whatnot with a toothbrush, all 1669 of them. The soapwater from the first wash was all yellow from the tar, dust and nicotine. I got it all out, it took almost a week.
The best thing about this was that, even if this wasn't primarily bought for play, we had the best three evenings building it together with the kid. It seems that it'll end up being played with someday anyway. It's a good thing.
The silverscreen sandcrawler has just a marvelous design, and after finishing the 10144 I couldn't escape thinking that it doesn't quite capture the essence of the original. It would benefit greatly from a new design and release. Still, it's the one I'm going to use for some Tatooine photos, and I'll take it as a challenge.