This is the third light and was completed in 1923, a year after the second light burned. It is a white concrete octagonal tower, 55 feet high. Several modifications have been made to the characteristic of the light over time. Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, Canada
The lighthouse constructed by the French at Louisbourg was the first established in Canada, and the second on the North American continent. (The first North American light was lit on September 14, 1716 on Little Brewster Island in Boston Harbour.) Louisbourg, built near the northeast corner of Cape Breton Island, was the base from which the French planned to hold New France against the English. The Fortress was dependant upon ships from France to supply most of its needs. Safe entrance to the harbour at the end of the long voyage became a concern.
The initial plan to build a tower and light was made in late 1727, though the formal decision to build was not made until spring of 1729, after one of the King's ships, Le Profond nearly met its end in the harbour which was marked only by a navigational cross, and periodically by a bonfire.
Photo of the Day 30.06.2008 Vana Grammofon/ The Old Gramophone