Hays Wharf (A trading wharf from 1710 to 1969) was a Victorian
unloading place that has only quite recently been turned into a fine
covered shopping arcade.
1651 Alexander Hay takes over the lease of a brew house by London Bridge.
1710 The wharf is officially named Hay's Wharf, and warehouses are leased to other merchants who trade in potatoes, hops, and cider.
1796 The majority of the warehouses are now leased by W. Humphrey & Son.
1838 Frances, the last of the Hay family to be associated with the Wharf, dies. He had become a Master of the Waterman's Company, and King's Waterman to both George III and IV. He is buried in the family vault at St Mary's Church, Rotherhithe.
1857 John Humphrey Jnr employs Cubitt to build a new 'Hay's Wharf', which incorporates an enclosed dock.
1926 During the General Strike, the wharf is manned by Oxford undergraduates and office staff, who take over as Dockers and cold-store workers. They live aboard a Baltic vessel moored nearby.
1969 The Hay's Wharf Company ceases operations.
1980's Developers convert the warehouses to residential and commercial use .This include Hay's Galleria, where Cubitt's warehouses, lofts and vaults are now covered by a high glass roof.
Text from "Port Cities.org" www.portcities.org.uk/london/server/show/ConFactFile.87/H...