St Laurence's at Gnosall is a very impressive building which appears at first sight to be mostly 15th century, but has much earlier origins with significant parts of the 12th century Norman church remaining, more apparent from inside, with some fine early Norman arches at the crossing supporting the tower, and carved Romanesque capitals in the adjoining south transept.
The furnishings are mostly Victorian, including an unusual and attractive alabaster font. The stained glass is limited to the imposing east window from 1918, and a more recent engraved piece at the west end. Only a small patchwork of fragments in the south chapel survives from the churches once extensive medieval glass.
Also in the south chapel are two ill-matched medieval effigies placed together on a single plinth. One is an alabaster knight of c1470, whilst alongside is a badly defaced child's figure at least a century earlier. Clearly they do not belong to the same monument, but together they comprise a very odd (and barely legal) couple!
The church is normally kept locked but has limited opening on certain week days.