The Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery is a fine example of Spanish
colonial architecture. Built by the Franciscan Friar Vicente Velloc in
1845, its octagonal grounds are enclosed by a wall decorated with
wrought-iron grills and stonework meant to look like drapery.
An arched gate leads to the chapel built into the cemetery's inner wall. Wings radiate from the sides of the chapel, forming an arc where the aboveground niches are found.
Under the chapel, two flights down, is the crypt. This underground section of the cemetery played an important role in our history. Throughout the Revolution of 1896 and the Filipino-American War, our fighting patriots used the crypt as a secret hideout, gathering here to plan their moves or to seek shelter. Similarly, it became a safehouse for guerillas during the World War II.
The Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery is located in Nagcarlan, a mountainside town of Laguna.