chapel | lagos
Chapel of St. John the Baptist in Lagos, Portugal. According to a plaque in the porch, which however has disappeared, the Chapel was built in 1174. However, the oldest reference to its existence date is 1325.
In 1536 John III gives orders that every year, on July 24, to take place here a Mass assisted by the local nobility. In August 1573 the chapel was visited by King D. Sebastian.
Severely damaged in the Earthquake of 1755 it was rebuilt in 1805 and has undergone several changes.
It was again damaged in the 1969 Earthquake and was later repaired.