new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Quarantine House, Syros | by Theophilos
Back to photostream

Quarantine House, Syros

The Quarantine House, is located at Lazareta area and is a huge building constructed in 1837 in order to quarantine the travellers and shipmen that arrived to Syros at times when cholera and other deadly diseases hit Europe. During the Cretan Revolution for Independence in 1866 it was used as a shelter for the Crete refugees and in the end of the 19th century as a prison.

4,503 views
37 faves
46 comments
Taken on March 29, 2009