(C) Photograph copyright 2009 Ivan Safyan Abrams. All rights reserved.
In the background of this photo is Neville Island, about 5 miles down the Ohio River from the Point in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The island is covered with industrial plants, not quite as many as in 1971 when this photo was taken, but still quite a few. The Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad was a subsidiary of the New York Central, and at one time generated more revenue per mile than any other railroad in the United States. When the US steel industry collapsed in the late 1980s, the Pittsburgh area was especially hard hit. So was the P&LE, and it went broke. Its mainline was purchased by CSX Corporation which utilizes it as a part of its Baltimore--Washington--Chicago line. The bridge and secondary track in this picture is now owned by the regional Ohio Central railroad. The locomotive in this picture is a 1500 horsepower EMD (GM) GP-7, part of a group that was the backbone of P&LE's motive power fleet.