Longford Tasmania. In the gardens of historic Brickendon House. One of four major estates once owned by the Archer family. Brickendon is still owned by members of the Archer family.
Brother William started his estate Brickendon shortly after Thomas in 1824 when his first cottage house was built. The main homestead, the delightfully proportioned two storey Georgian style residence with a pretty portico with iron pillars was built in 1829 when he married. The iron trellis portico was designed by architect nephew Thomas Archer of Woolmers and imported from England in 1857. Around the house William Archer planted hazelnuts, quinces, chestnuts, pears and medlars. Around his 30 acre paddocks he planted English Hawthorn hedges and Brickendon still has 30 kilometres of hawthorn hedge.
The property depended heavily on assigned convicts and by 1830 around 40 convicts, including female house servants, lived on the property. Brickendon is a good example of a pioneering estate with workers cottages from the 1830s, Georgian style stables, a weatherboard grain store and Dutch barns from the 1820s, a smoke house 1831, even fancy poultry sheds from the 1830s, and a woolshed, chapel and blacksmith shop. Brickendon is a complete village. Today the property still retains the original 1,000 acre land grant but the estate is tiny compared to its heyday. Members of the Archer family (the seventh generation) still run the property which grows poppies for medicines, merino wool and vegetables.