or the "Spiš Chapterhouse" is an exceptionally well-preserved ecclesiastical town overlooking the Spiš Castle. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The town consists of the Cathedral of St. Martin, a former monastery, and a single street all of medieval construction and enclosed by a wall. Spišská Kapitula became the main seat of the church administration in the region in the 12th century. In 1776 it became the seat of the Diocese of Spiš. The cathedral was built between the 13th and 15th centuries in the Romanesque and Gothic styles. It is one of the largest and most interesting Romanesque monuments in Slovakia. It contains many mediaeval carved altars and is the resting place of many lords of Spiš Castle; the 15th century carved marble tombstones of the Zapolsky family are of exceptional quality. A recently restored wall-painting from 1317 depicts the coronation of Charles Robert of Anjou as the King of Hungary. This place was visited by Pope John Paul II in 1995.