WWII Torpedo at the L.A. Maritime Museum
"Typical W.W. II Torpedo" outside Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 146, formerly the Municipal Ferry Building. The building was built in 1941, part of the ferry system which carried workers to and from Terminal Island. The ferry closed in 1963.
Submarines on war patrol would carry 24 torpedos. The weapon had a top speed of 46 knots and could travel up to four miles.